Thursday, October 1, 2015

Sorting Out the Messages

Recently, I went with a group of folks from WCSU to a training facilitated by Loree Silvis called PNOA* and Common Core.  Sitting in this workshop, I encountered ideas that pulled with my current practice and others that pulled away from my current practice.  As a result, I experienced some internal conflict.

I find that I often feel this way when I attend workshops and receive different messages about math instruction, curriculum and assessment.  It takes me some time and thought to sort it out, and I know that I am not unique in this regard.  Recently, I have had conversations with teachers that highlight the pervasiveness of this feeling.  Teachers perceive mixed messages about what to teach and how to teach it.  The messages come from a variety of sources, and teachers feel pulled in different directions.  They want focus, clarity, and communication.  

To address this, Jen Miller-Arsenault, Bill Kimball and I are collaborating with the goal of unpacking and reconciling some of the conflict and to provide WCSU teachers with a consistent message about math curriculum, instruction and assessment.

We will address the mixed messages in separate posts that are linked below.  For the in-service on October 13, we will spend some time "browsing" the posts.  To honor your individuality, we'll use this menu differentiation strategy (that I've used with homework and practice activities in class).


Main Dishes (Read and comment on each of these posts.):
Side Dishes (Read and comment on at least one of these posts.)
Desserts (Yummy, but optional.  You can put these in your doggie bag for later, if you want.)
    If you have another mixed message you'd like addressed, please write it in as comment below on this post or send me an email (edorsey@u32.org).  



    *"PNOA" stands for Primary Number and Operations Assessment.  It is an interview format assessment that was developed by a team of Vermont educators as a multipurpose tool for grades k-2.





    No comments:

    Post a Comment