Friday, April 15, 2016

Talking about the BIG picture in Berlin

A few weeks back, Carol Amos (principal at Berlin Elementary) asked me to put together a presentation for her staff to offer a big picture perspective on the changes in math instruction.  Where were we?  Where are we going?  And why?

I'm embedding a copy of my presentation in this blog post (if you have any trouble viewing it embedded you can click on this link to get it).   I'll address some of the lingering questions Berlin folks had below... Please check them out and maybe weigh in by posting a comment.

Lingering Questions/Comments:*

What is the plan for addressing the standards not emphasized in the WCSU Non-Negotiables?
I was looking back at a blog post I wrote in October to address this: WCSU Non-Negotiables vs. CCSS.  I feel like it still covers this question.  Please comment below, if you don't agree and want me to expand.
Our students were frustrated by the SBAC.  There were lots things that kids haven't seen.  We need the wording and format of our assessments to match the SBAC.  We need questions based on logic, reasoning and to spend more time on word problems.
This is a big question that I'm sure is shared by many considering we all just finished administering these tests.  To start, I would agree that we should be asking questions that require logic and reasoning.  We should also be exposing our students to both routine and non-routine contexts.  Also, we should mix it up with our wording to give our students more flexibility.  So, yes, yes and yes!  Take these nuggets away from the SBAC frustrations, and apply them to how you teach to the non-negotiables.

But also remember this:  The SBAC is one test.  It is still new to us and our students.  It is also adaptive.  This means that it rides the edge between what a student can and can't do.  As a result, students may encounter problems that they can't do more frequently than they are accustomed to.  They might also encounter problems that are above what they are expected to be able to do at their grade level.  The point of this is to find out what a student knows and can do with fewer questions.  The GRE is like this now, and I can tell you when I took it a few years ago, I left feeling like a total failure.  It turned out I did fine, but wasn't used to that sensation.

However, for students, this might feel new and different and perhaps demoralizing.  The nugget that I take away is that we need to focus on Math Practice #1 explicitly. ALL. THE. TIME.  Make sense of problems and persevere.  Encourage a math mindset.  I suspect there's a reason why this practice is #1...

Here are some blog posts you might enjoy that address this:
What about our preschoolers?
Excellent point.  We started with kindergarten, but we need to expand our levels of knowing work for Pre-K.  We do have Pre-K Non-Negotiables you can find them here: WCSU Pre-K Non-Negotiables.  However, we need to do more.  Are there any Pre-K experts out there willing to help out with this work?  Send me an email if you are... edorsey@u32.org.
How can we help parents understand the non-negotiables and how can we help them to help their children fill in the gaps?
Another great point.  I am thinking that we should think about this as a system?  What should we do?  I have ideas.  I'm sure you do, too.  Anne Carter and I have been batting around a possible newsletter...  Some schools do a math night... What other ideas do people have?  Should this be school by school?  Teacher by teacher? Or should we do something as an SU?
How do we develop Tier 2 interventions to help students progress through the levels of knowing?
Also a great question.  I'm thinking that this would be a good PD topic for next year.  What do other folks think?
Why don't we have a program?
I wrote a blog post on this back in October that I'll cite for this one: Is it okay to use a textbook?.  Please comment below, if this doesn't scratch your itch on this one.
What about integration of math with other content areas?
I am thrilled that someone asked about this, since this is the research focus of my future dissertation. If this question interests you, please ask yourself these questions: What do you define as integration?  What would it look like?  What stands in the way right now?  What supports it?  How is math different from literacy?  Send me an email (or comment below) to let me know your thoughts.

Then, check out the first chapter of this book: Drake & Burns.  More to come on this one...

* Jen Miller-Arsenault, my ever thoughtful Director of Curriculum, Assessment and Instruction would have me point out that these exit cards are an example of how I do formative assessment to inform my coaching and respond to needs.

Whew!  This post took me while.  I hope it's worthwhile to you, and that we continue these conversations.  If you have any thoughts please comment below.

Thank you, Carol, for starting this.



1 comment:

  1. Ellen, I talked to my third graders at the beginning of the year about the "math mountain" that we are climbing this year, all at different speeds so they are spread out on the climb, and I love seeing the same image in your presentation. It's helpful to me to think of teachers and schools climbing their own mountain toward a really excellent math program for our students.

    ReplyDelete